Monday, February 21, 2011

Finally Home

Hi guys! I know it's been a while since I've blogged, but life has been SUPER crazy for me for the past few months... hell the whole last year has been crazy! It's been a year since I've left Detroit for Miami, I can't believe how times flies! A lot of people were wondering what I was going to do once I got to Miami but honestly, I didn't even know. I wanted to live in Miami so much that I was going to waitress if I had to, but I was going to live in my favorite city. After parting ways with WJLB in Detroit in 2009, I didn't even want to do radio anymore! I was so angry that my show got canceled (despite amazing ratings) that I said "F*ck it".. "I need to find a new profession". When I got to Miami, I started working with old friend/former WJLB co-worker Necole for NecoleBitchie.com. Somehow in the midst of everything, I found my way back On-Air at Power 96.5 in Miami. That radio station was cool, but for some reason I never really felt like it was home so I ended up leaving them and focused solely on working with Necole.

In the fall, Necole relocated to New York City and I followed a month later. There is so much more energy in New York City and if you're in the entertainment business, NYC is the place to be!! But somewhere deep down inside: I missed being on-air. I've been doing radio since I was 18 years old and it's a huge part of who I am. I wasn't happy anymore and we parted ways. I learned so much from Necole and I will forever be thankful for all the things that she has taught me. No one works as hard as that girl! #TeamNoSleep! It wasn't long after that my phone rang and an old boss from Detroit (who works for CBS in New York) informed me of a possible opportunity in Washington DC.

Fast forward...February is here, one year since I've left Detroit... I've lived in Miami, New York City, and finally found a great home here in DC! I took a big risk leaving Detroit. That was my safety net. My friends and family are there, people know me there, I was comfortable. I felt guilty that I was abandoning my family because I was out here trying to chase my dreams. We've never been separated since we all came to the United States together back in 1997. But I decided to take this journey and with God's guidance I find myself in an amazing position. I finally have my dream radio job: hosting middays at WPGC 95.5! I've wanted to have this spot since I started doing radio, and I feel honored that I was given such opportunity. I remember tweeting this Drake verse the morning that I left Detroit for Miami... "Don't every forget the moment you began to doubt, transitioning from fitting in to standing out". I remember being scared as hell to leave Detroit but if I didn't... I would've never worked with Necole, I would've never moved to New York City, I would've never been offered my dream job here in DC. In life we take chances and I don't regret anything that I have done in the past 12 months. God has a plan for all of us and EVERYTHING happens for a reason. Never question him, just enjoy the journey! #Blessed.

12 comments:

  1. "transitioning from fitting in to standing out" Wow!!!

    I also tweeted this & updated my FB status with it. I feel it in my bones every time I hear it.

    On a side note: I had a phone interview with you months ago for Bitchie Life. Although I wasn't offered a position that moment lit a fire under me to write my way into success.

    Congratulations Sunni, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sunni, Let's see I started following NB on Twitter about 8 months ago, I luv my entertainment blogs!! Subsequently, I started following you on Twitter as well, then kept up with your blog. While I don't know you personally it's so easy to keep up with people lives via social media, aka Twitter! So, thanks to your timeline I was able to follow your "happenings'! With all that said, I admire you for taking chances, following your dreams, etc. It's amazing what God has in store for us! Welcome to DC! I live and work in the DMV and have had the pleasure of listening to your new show on WPGC. Wishing you much success! Congrats!
    @MskrisR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Sunni!!!! Love your blog, please continue to post! It's such a inspiration to me as a young woman within the entertainment industry. I'm traveling to New York in a couple of weeks for a great and blessed opportunity! It will be my first time traveling to NYC! I'm nervous/excited!lol So, I loved reading this post. It shows if you trust in God, and follow your dreams, and just live life..how amazing the journey can be! Stay blessed lady! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. It means a lot. I definitely took a chance and it worked out. I don't question it. Just going with the flow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again welcome to the DMV Sunni i welcomed you on WPGC.COM iam happy for you even though i do not know you personally. I listen to you when i can in middays on PGC that has been a great station in this area large listnership in two markets D.C. and Baltimore. Followed you at WJLB on line so even though iam from Baltimore i had heard of you before "Sunshyne" LOL. Rememember Clear Channel like`s to save money so it was not you it was them. Talent finds work and you sound and look great again welcome and GOOD LUCK. I think that you made out going from nite`s in market#11 to middays in market#9.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how you felt about the "guilt". I start my third year of college this upcoming fall and I have decided to live on campus. I have been feeling guilty about that. I've been feeling that way even more so because I want to go into radio as well and I know I can't pursue my dream how I want in my hometown of Virginia, so I'll be leaving in the next few years. However, I know your family is proud of you. Knowing that my family will be proud of me is what eases the guilt for me.

    Good luck with DC radio! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Sunni! So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh Donta! I see you with the Market breakdown lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunni :)
    Congrats && I am glad that DC is treating you well. I started following you on twitter, when I became apart of #teambitchie. You (as well as Necole) are true inspirations. I know many people are afraid to leave home (i know I am) but reading this blog post has showed me that it is possible to leave you comfort bubble of friends && family && succeed in something that you truly love.
    So Happy for you
    --AshleyyMoniquee <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I moved to Nc, but use to be in Va. Wish I was still there so I could hear you miday.

    Congrats lady.

    ReplyDelete