Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Loving This New ME That I'm Becoming...

Last night, I attended the GQ November Issue Release Party at Trump Soho celebrating Swizz Beatz cover feature. The atmosphere was incredible. Room was full of young professionals and industry folks; men in bowties (with the exception of a few fitted caps, but eh it’s NY), women in very fashionable yet sexy dresses and bold red lips… far from the shiny bedazzled two-way stretch hoochie dresses of South Beach. The event started at 8 and it was over by 11pm. I love that! People here have REAL jobs and have to wake up early (my alarm is set for 5:15am daily wakeup call). As Swizz Beatz and Alicia Keys made their way through the room, they seemed calm and very familiar with the small intimate crowd. There were no star-struck folks, no crowding and no groupie behavior. It’s New York, people are use to this. DJ Cassidy was spinning and the music was Ah-mazing! Even Mr. & Mrs. Keys got down on the dance floor.  It wasn’t about who you’re with, how many bottles you’re buying or what kind of car you’re driving…. It was just simply “nice”. Effortless! Everyone was having a great time!


Recently my friend Jason tweeted this to me “Welcome to New York, Ma!!! It's not "what you drive"... It's "who you are". Fakers have no material to hide behind”…

So true…

I guess it’s all a part of me growing up as a person; I am starting to appreciate the small intimate gatherings of good people and great music, mixed with a little bit of business. Even the men I date (more on that this week), there are no flashy cars, no flashy chains, no gimmicks. New York will expose the real! You get a chance to see the person for who they really are aside from the material things. Five years ago, I probably would not have been able to see as clearly as I do now, I did not have the appreciation for the things that really matter in life, my views were all f*cked up.

I say all this to say… New York is really making me a better person. I feel that I don’t have to try to be someone that I’m not, fit into the mold of someone’s ideal woman; I’m just ME!  For the first time, I am really seeing men for who they are on the inside, their views on love and life, their family values and morals. At the end of the day, all material things can be taken away and the only thing that is left is your soul. Let’s hope that it’s a beautiful one.

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I am so proud of you and your maturation over the years. I am loving your outlook, that will ultimately, determine your outcome. Continue to walk in positivity and God will do the rest.

    Your sister in scribe,
    Rian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big ups to you girlie..Growing in life is a beautiful thing..we grow through life experiences....Blessing to you as you continue to grow and in doing so I pray that you will be an inspiration to other young women..We are the future..Take care and Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your blog. Can't wait to read more about your journey in the Big Apple,

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds awesome. I think I'd love New York. Never been there just yet. Maybe in the future. Sounds like it'd be nice to be in an intimate crowd like that. Unfortunately, I'd probably be a little star struck. Lol. Maybe even do some hard core networking. =P I'm in Dallas. Can't compare that to New York at all. I should get out of here and just challenge myself to grow up a lot more. =P Great blog btw. Very cool. Glad all is well with ya Sunni.

    ReplyDelete